Sunday 31 March 2013

Evaluation

 As you can see this is an original image which I have taken on my camera. I am going to demonstrate how I created the effect on the photograph on my double page spread. I started with the original image and cropped her face so that her face takes up the full frame. This makes the beads on her face more visible and makes her seem closer to the reader. Its also conventional to have a close up shot on the double page spread in music magazines.
 Next I adjusted the layer by using 'auto' levels, this helps change the lighting and shadows in the photograph, making it easier to work with. I created a white layer behind the image. I used the quick selection tool on the image layer to select the background that I wanted white. Once all selected I pressed the delete button and this left me with the white background. (ensuring the image layer is on top of the white layer) This can some times give a very harsh and sharp effect, so to make the edges softer I took the eraser tool and made sure that it was set onto about 50% hardness, this helps give a soft effect. I carefully went around the edge of her face making the lines softer, making the edit look more natural and unnoticeable.
 Once the original image has been edited to how I want it, I duplicated the layer and created a black and white adjustment layer on one of these layers.
For the final stage I made sure that the black and white image layer is on top of the colour image. To create the coloured beads effect I took the eraser tool and made it the size of the beads on my models face, making sure it's on 100% hardness. I then clicked the eraser so that it removed the black and white adjustment leaving the natural red colour of the beads showing through.
I love the effect this creates as it looks very effective once all the beads are edited into colour. I tried this effect on many different images to see which I liked best and this is how I chose the image for my double page spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment